Honesty Hurts

I wanted him to leave Janice, to find a place for the two of us and my baby.

"It's impossible," Eddie yelled. He was pacing the kitchen, tearing at his hair.

I sat at the kitchen table crying. "I want you, only you." I threw myself upon him, but he pulled me off as if I were a leech sucking his blood.

"We could both be locked up."

"Then, let's go to France or somewhere we can be together and marry."

"No, I won't leave Janice," he blasted. "I have my work to consider too."

"Is that what you care about ... your stupid, fucking job?"

"Mainly, I care for my wife and kids."

He said he was happy to continue exactly the way we were. "Or, I will have to stop seeing you. But this time, it will have to be for good."

"You're no different from that eighteen-year-old boy who screwed my mother and then fucked off. Leave Janice or ..."

Eddie grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me hard. "Or what? I will never leave her for you," he sneered. "I can't live with someone who has mental breakdowns, who cuts herself to ribbons like this," he held out one of my arms to reveal a long, silvery scarred line.

"Then get out of my house now. I don't want to see or hear from you again."
I knew there and then that I would never let him get away with this. I would get my own back on him even if it killed me.